Junk removal services help you eliminate extra belongings when:
- Decluttering your home
- Moving to a new office space
- Shifting to a new neighborhood
- Executing routine spring cleaning
While all the above events can be stressful, junk removal should be the opposite.
But how exactly can you make junk removal in Richmond, VA, a stress-free experience?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to walk you through the entire process.
1. Get a Quote BeforeHand
The cost of junk removal services varies, with an average price range of $200 and $850. The amount you spend depends on:
- Junk size you want the company to move
- Number of trips required to move your junk to the landfill
- The timeline of the project
- Extra factors like hazardous waste disposal
No matter how much you pay, get several quotes from different junk removal companies in Richmond. While some organizations require an initial in-person quote, many will get you a rough estimate online.
Compare several junk haulers and settle on a company that matches your budget to avoid surprises when you get the bill.
2. Hire A Junk Removal Company You Trust
The best way to curb stress during the junk-removal process is to let an expert shoulder the heavy junk-removal lifting for you. While hiring a junk removal service simplifies the entire process, getting a trusted company to do the job without hiccups makes it even better.
The best company has:
- Many positive online reviews from people in Richmond, VA
- Proper licensing and insurance
- Environmentally conscious practices
- Proper disposal methods
- Excellent customer services
Examine the reviews of the company you’re considering hiring to get insight into how reliable they are and the services they offer.
If online reviews aren’t enough, consider word of mouth. Ask your friends, family, and neighbors for recommendations when you begin the search.
3. Weight Between Dumpster Rental vs. Truck Hauling
When you leverage truck-hauling junk removal services, 2-3 people will come to your home or office, carry the items you’re discarding, load them into a dumpster or truck, then take them away forever. The junk removal service work like movers, except they’ll properly dispose of the items instead of relocating.
Alternatively, you can choose to hire a dumpster.
To determine whether you need a dumpster or truck hauling, you should consider the following:
The Cost of Disposing Of Hiring a Dumpster
If you want to remove the junk yourself, your best shot is to consider a dumpster rental.
According to CostHelper.com, the average dumpster rental prices range between $90 and $850 for a three to four-day rental, including dump fees. However, the estimate doesn’t include your time and energy.
When you hire a dumpster, you’ll fill it up yourself and work every step of the way. You’ll also pay for every day you rent the dumpster, whether you work or not. The dumpster company will pick it up and drop it off once you’re done.
The Cost of Hiring a Junk Removal Company
While the prices across Richmond may vary, what determines the amount you pay a junk removal company depends on the following:
- The size of the junk ( The volume it takes on the truck)
- Number of trips it’ll take to dispose of the junk properly
According to Forbes, you can expect to pay about $225 for junk removal.
Generally, hiring a junk removal company is best for complicated junk removals, especially when you need help bagging the junk. The haulers will help you pack the junk away.
On the other hand, renting a dumpster for a DIY purpose is best for longer jobs. For instance, when you want to keep the dumpster outside your home during renovations to, toss construction waste whenever necessary. The company will drop off the dumpster, allowing a week — or more time if needed — to fill it. Once you’re done, the company will haul it away.
4. Establish the Timeline
After picking the right junk removal service, your next step is establishing the timeline. Depending on the company, you can get same-day junk removal services, weekly service, or wait until workers are available to haul your extra belongings.
If you have limited time, plan and hire early, or choose an option offering quick turnaround services.
5. Separate Junk to Be Removed
Examine your extra belonging before and separate junk to get rid of. The junk can be:
- Residential junk
- Commercial junk
Residential Junk Removal
Residential junk is items you no longer need that pile up at your home. Some residential junk items your company can remove include:
- Garage waste
- Excess equipment
- Electronic waste
- Tires and rubber
- Household trash
- Yard waste
- Renovation waste
- Carpeting and rugs
- Garbage and refuse
- Mattresses and box springs
- Exercise equipment
- Pool table
- Scrap metals
- Refrigerators and freezers
Commercial Junk Removal
Like residential premises, commercial properties, and office spaces can be burdened with junk as the business grow. You can get experts to relieve this burden by taking wastes such as:
- Desks, trash, office furniture
- Flooring, retail fixtures, displays
- Electronics and computers
- Copiers, printers, and scanners
- Displays and monitor
- ATM removal
6. Ask What’s Acceptable and What Isn’t
While your removal company accepts many items, such as furniture, appliances, and carpeting, they might not accept everything. Most junk removal services don’t accept hazardous items because they are difficult to transport.
You should ask the company you’re hiring which items they don’t accept before scheduling the removal. Some items off-limit you might include:
- Open paint cans
- Electronic materials containing mercury
- Live animals (consider rehoming if you have unwanted pets)
- Biological waste such as syringes, contaminated material, or biological substances
7. Ask About Disposal Methods
Nearly all junk removal services try to donate gently used items and recycle anything recyclable before trashing them. However, not all companies take these extra steps because it’s expensive and time-consuming.
If eco-friendly disposal is a priority, check with your junk hauler about their disposal methods before moving forward. This will allow you to ensure you prioritize environmentally friendly practices.
Some responsible disposal methods include:
- Donating usable items
- Utilizing proper waste management facilities
All these help minimize the impact on the environment and promote sustainability.
8. Label Junk
Labeling junk might appear unnecessary for many. However, if you’re relocating, you should mark the junk you want to be removed so that you and your removal company can understand what needs to go.
Otherwise, the workers can accidentally haul away items you want to keep. Set junk you want to be hauled away separately to make moving easy for everyone. Make a checklist of your junk when the junk items are many.
9. Prepare Your Space (If You Chose Truck Hauling Junk Removal)
If you’ve chosen the truck-hauling alternative, prepare your space to streamline the process. You should:
- Clear pathways: Any obstacle or clutter may obstruct the path of the junk you want to remove. Clear them to make it easier for the junk removal team to navigate your space and load the items onto their truck. Clearing pathways also prevent accidents or damage to your property during the removal process.
- Dismantle and break down larger items: If possible, dismantle large items such as furniture, bed frames, or other disassemblable bulky items. Dissembling larger items makes them easier to handle and transport and maximizes the available space in the junk removal truck.
- Clear parking area: If the junk removal company requires parking space for their truck, find ample space for them to maneuver and park near your property.
How Does Junk Removal Helps the Environment?
Junk removal brings the idea of cleanliness to reality. A junk removal company works with landfills, recycling centers, and donation locations to help you preserve the environment.
At Cavalier Moving, we understand that every piece of junk that evades the landfill adds a healthier, more sustainable planet — and we plan to play our part.
We know exactly where to take all the junk we pick from you — so they end up in the right place.
We donate goods if they’re of good quality. If your item is not donateable, we take it to recycling centers. The recyclable materials are cleaned, packaged, and sent to be converted into a new product. That way, we preserve the environment by:
- Minimizing waste sent to landfills
- Conserving natural resources
- Preventing pollution caused by collecting raw materials
- Promoting the domestic economy by reusing material goods
- Managing hazardous materials to prevent environmental contamination
For over 15 years, we’ve promoted responsible waste management, efficient junk removal process, and safe handling of hazardous material, and we can do it for you too.
Get Junk Removal Solutions in Richmond, VA, with Cavalier Moving
When you have junk to move to Richmond, VA, you want the best junk removal services to haul away what you no longer need in your home or office. At Cavalier Moving, we can cater to nearly all junk removal needs.
Our junk removal experts can offer you:
- Same-day or next-day services, so you don’t have to wait if you have your junk ready to go
- A clear junk removal process so that you don’t run into scheduling and billing issues, especially if you’re a first-time customer
- Area clean up where the junk rested and where our haulers will walk through to haul the junk — you don’t have to worry about dealing with messes on your floor
We’ll shoulder all the heavy junk-hauling process, so you don’t have to lift even a finger. Call us today for all your junk removal solutions in Richmond, VA.