In an ideal world, you’d have ample time to prepare for any move. However, in the real world, life comes at you fast, and so does the short-notice move. Whether you’re relocating for work, family reasons, or looking for a change of scenery, executing a last-minute move can be challenging.
While seeking last-minute moving services eases the burden of a rushed move, your best shot is understanding the challenges you’ll likely face and possible solutions.
Common Challenges of Last-Minute Moving
The moving process requires too much planning, time, and money, which usually becomes a nightmare for many if rushed. Even with urgent moving help from a moving company, many people slop up when preparing items for the moving crew when under the clock.
However, knowing the possible mistakes and where they’ll likely happen can help you avoid them and smoothen your move. Some common problems that appear when preparing for a last-minute relocation include:
Limited Time — The Biggest Obstacle in A Rushed Move
Lack of time is your biggest challenge in a last-minute move. You need to achieve what is typically done in six-eight weeks for a limited period. Doing things in a rush can get items damaged. Quick packaging can result in giant boxes filling faster and occupying more space.
What’s more concerning is that many people don’t think straight when racing against time, which can be a quick recipe for disaster. You’re best off organizing the little time you have.
Urgent Financial Demand in a Small Period
Financial problems can be challenging to get around during a last-minute move. The situation demands more money for moving expenses even though you don’t have an extra stream.
Relocation does not come cheap, and you’ll be forced to do everything possible to make the move happen. If you’re on a budget, you can do the following to overcome the financial obstacle in last-minute relocation:
- Do the maths: Your moving cost will differ depending on whether you plan the move yourself or work with professional movers. Consider all the help you can get from friends and family, and see where you can cut back on expenses or which option will suit your budget.
- Declutter before moving: You have many items that won’t come with you. Sell any extra items you rarely or never use. Donate some to charity and discard damaged ones to eliminate extra baggage and make packing easier.
- Get quotes from multiple last-minute moving companies: Before hiring a moving company, compare quotes from at least three movers, and choose a provider that matches your budget.
- Pack everything yourself: Hiring professional packers speed up the moving process. However, when you’re on a budget, you can pack yourself and save hundreds of dollars for other moving expenses.
- Deduct your moving expenses from your taxes: Save receipts of your moving expenditure to deduct your expense during the next tax season. If you’re relocating because of work, you can qualify to use the IRS Form 3903 to deduct your moving expenses from your federal income tax return.
Regardless of how you manage your budget, do not corner on important things. Look for the best last-minute moving services that match your budget without compromising service quality.
Stress from the pressure of rushed relocation
A big move can be stressful because it presents many challenges all at once. According to New York Post, 64% of people who moved say their most recent relocation was the most stressful thing they’ve ever experienced.
While stress is a normal and natural response, you’d want to remain calm for a smooth and efficient move. After all, stress makes even simple tasks that could go smoothly go wrong. You’re better off facing the rushed moving burden with a clear mind instead of a panicked one.
Tips for Quick Organization, Decluttering, and Packing
- Declutter before anything else. One of the best approaches to a stress-free move is decluttering. Even if you think your home or office isn’t cluttered, chances are you have several items you can do without. Get rid of old things you have no use for, items you have in excess, and stuff past their prime. Sell or donate items in good condition and discard damaged and broken ones.
- Gather packaging supplies. Get packing items like boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, labels, and markers. Instead of buying new packing material, you can use what you have. For instance, you can use towels to wrap fragile items, suitcases, and duffel bags to pack clothing and linens.
- Star with the essentials: Identify essential items you need daily, such as toiletries, important documents, and clothing, and pack them first. You can create a household inventory list of all belongings and categorize them based on importance for easier packing.
- Label everything. Label each box with its contents and destination room to make unpacking easier.
After packing, the only remaining task is to find a reliable last-minute moving service provider.
How to Evaluate and Select the Right Last-Minute Moving Service Provider
Finding the right moving company on short notice can be hard work. The BBB says that many people complain about lost and damaged items, unworked hours charges, late arrival, and a breach of the estimates. However, you can avoid all the unnecessary stress by vetting your potential moving companies.
Here’s a guideline to evaluate and select the best provider.
- Ask for referrals. Ask family members, coworkers, and friends if they have a moving company they can recommend. Chances are, the company you’ll be referred to will offer reliable last-minute moving services.
- Get multiple quotes. Do not settle for the first quote you get. Ask for a minimum of three in-person estimates to get a thorough comparison.
- Check online reviews for red flags. Read reviews from other customers to gauge the company’s professionalism, reputation, and reliability.
- Verify the mover’s licensing and insurance: Ensure the mover is licensed and insured to protect your belonging during the move.
The Right Last-Minute Moving Provider Can Shoulder the Relocating Burden for You
Regardless of how much time you have, moving can be stressful. If you’re planning to move quickly, getting a reliable mover is an excellent decision. Cavalier Moving promises reliable and professional last-minute moving services if you’re in Richmond. We have a lineup of specialists to offer you excellent customer service and satisfaction. Contact us today for reliable rushed moving services for residential and commercial relocation.